Who knew two simple ingredients could be so good together? Coconut haystacks are a super fast and easy candy that everyone loves! Perhaps best of all, it requires no baking; it also sets up in just half an hour. This recipe is a great way to get kids started in the kitchen (with supervision, as they will need to use the stove top).
All you need are toasted coconut and melted chocolate to make these fast candy clusters. You can get fancier, by adding sprinkles, nuts, dried fruit, or other favorite chocolate pairings to these clusters. But even if you decide to keep things simple and just stick with chocolate and coconut, you won't be disappointed.
- First, toast the coconut. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Place the coconut in a pie tin or small baking pan, and toast it in the oven until golden brown. The secret to good toasted coconut is consistent browning, so stir it every 2 to 3 minutes until it is an even, light golden color. It will probably take 8 to 10 minutes but monitor your coconut carefully.
- While the coconut is toasting, place the chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it until it is melted, stirring every 45 seconds.
- Once the coconut is toasted and chocolate is melted, stir the coconut into the chocolate, mixing until coconut is entirely coated with chocolate.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Using a small teaspoon or candy scoop, drop small spoonfuls of the candy onto the prepared sheet.
- Once all candy has been formed, refrigerate the tray for 30 minutes until the chocolate is set.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|