- 3/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks (beaten in a medium bowl)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch pastry shell (baked)
- For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In the top of a double boiler, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, chocolate, and salt. Stir in milk. Cook mixture over boiling water, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until chocolate mixture has thickened. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually, whisking constantly, add about half of the hot chocolate mixture into beaten egg yolks; return egg mixture to the double boiler, stirring well. Cook over boiling water, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- If there are some lumps, strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Pour filling into a baked pie shell.
- Chill the pie thoroughly in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours. In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream with confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract until stiff. Spread over chocolate cream pie and return to refrigerator until serving time. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|