Marshmallows are even better when dipped in chocolate! Use purchased or homemade marshmallows for the quick and easy treat. If desired, you can place the marshmallows on toothpicks or small skewers before dipping to make them easier to eat and serve.
- 1 package (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. shortening
- 1 bag large marshmallows (or 1 lb homemade marshmallows)
- Optional: Assorted sprinkles or small candies
- Optional: 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
2. Combine the chocolate chips and the shortening in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave until melted, stirring after every minute.
3. Drop a marshmallow into the melted chocolate and submerge it slightly. Use a fork to remove it from the chocolate, and tap it against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Drag the bottom of the fork against the lip of the bowl to remove any remaining excess chocolate, and place the marshmallow on the prepared baking sheet.
Alternately, you can skewer the marshmallows with toothpicks or small skewers, and use those to dip the marshmallows in chocolate. If you are using sprinkles or small candies, sprinkle them on when the chocolate is still wet. Repeat with remaining chocolate and marshmallows.
4. Place the marshmallows in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set the chocolate.
5. If desired, melt the white chocolate and drizzle it over the marshmallows for a decorative look. Briefly return the candy to the refrigerator to set the white chocolate before serving.