Contrary to popular belief, candy doesn't have to be unhealthy--if you use quality, good-for-you ingredients, you can make guilt-free goodies at home! Case in point: these Chocolate-Dipped Plums are an easy, healthy candy that's actually good for you!
What's the secret? We start with ingredients like dried plums, toasted almonds, and rich semi-sweet chocolate. It may sound simple, but sometimes the simplest things are the best! The dried plums are sweet and chewy, the toasted almonds add a great savory crunch, and the ever-so-slightly bitter chocolate ties everything together.
This recipe is based on a traditional Polish candy called Sliwka naleczowska w czekoladzie, but you can call them “delicious” in any language! They're a great after-dinner treat, and make a wonderful gift as well. Feel free to substitute other nuts for the almonds, and top them off with crushed nuts, coconut, or even sprinkles!
- 24 dried plums (prunes)
- 24 almonds (whole, toasted)
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Optional: assorted crushed nuts for decorating
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil, waxed paper, or parchment paper. Set it aside for now.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Continue to microwave and stir, until the chocolate is smooth and completely melted. Set the chocolate aside to cool slightly while you prepare the dried plums.
- Insert the almonds into the centers of the dried plums, one nut per dried plum. I find it’s easier to use the tapered end of the nut to poke into the center of the dried plum. If you have difficulty, you can use a paring knife and cut a small hole into the center of the dried plum to insert the almond. Continue until all of the dried plums are stuffed with almonds.
- Use a fork or dipping tools to dip one of the dried plums into the chocolate, submerging it completely. Remove it from the chocolate and drag the bottom along the lip of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate. Place it on the prepared baking sheet and, if desired, sprinkle the top with crushed nuts while the chocolate is still wet.
- Repeat the dipping with the remaining dried plums and chocolate. Once all of the dried plums are on the baking sheet, refrigerate it for 20-30 minutes until the chocolate is completely set. Once the chocolate is set, your Chocolate-Dipped Plums are ready to be served!
- Store the remaining Chocolate-Dipped Plums in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. For the best taste and texture, allow them to come to room temperature before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|