This is an old-fashioned ice cream soda, a fabulous summertime treat. Use club soda, seltzer water, or carbonated water in the delicious soda.
Use vanilla ice cream instead of the chocolate if you prefer.
The recipe makes 2 servings, but it is easily halved or doubled.
- 1/2 cup plain milk or chocolate milk
- 6 tablespoons chocolate syrup (We use Hershey's)
- 4 scoops of chocolate ice cream (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- Bottle of club soda or carbonated water
- Optional: whipped cream and maraschino cherries or chocolate shavings, for topping
Divide the milk between two tall 16-ounce glasses.
Add 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup to each glass. Stir to blend thoroughly.
Add 2 scoops of ice cream to each glass and fill with club soda or carbonated water about three-quarters of the way up the glass.
Top with whipped cream and cherry or chocolate shavings, if desired.