This gorgeous cake is fun to make and requires no frosting due to its stunning looks and decadent texture. It does, however, go quite well with a simple chocolate frosting, which we've also included a recipe for in the instructions below.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour (also known as gram flour, besan, garbanzo bean flour)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar, such as beet sugar or evaporated cane juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups very cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease and flour an 8 x 8 inch8-inch cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, the chickpea flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, the granulated sugar, and the salt. Mix well to combine and then make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the cooking oil, vanilla extract, and 1 cup cold water and stir well using a whisk, until smooth. Add the remaining 1 cup water and lemon juice and stir again until smooth.
- Pour 1/3 of the cake batter into a medium sized bowl. Add the 1/4 cup cocoa powder and mix well using a whisk.
- Evenly spread the remaining yellow cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Drop the chocolate batter by tablespoonfuls onto the yellow cake batter so that the chocolate batter is evenly distributed. Use a butter knife or small flat spatula to drag through the chocolate dallops and swirl the batters gently to make a contrasting design in a loose pattern. Try not to over-swirl as the colors will blend together and won't produce the "marble" effect.
- Place the cake onto the center rack of your oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a butter knife inserted into the center of the cake comes away clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing gently using a serrated knife.
- Enjoy the cake plain or cover with this simple chocolate frosting:
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated shortening, such as Spectra brand
- 1/4 cup nondairy margarine, such as Earth Balance brand
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 2 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- Mix the first 4 ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and gently mix until combine. Stir in the confectioner's sugar, a little at a time, until combine. Whip, using a whisk or an electric mixer until fluffy. After cake has cooled, spread onto the top of the cake.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 1 month. To thaw, simply allow the cake to come to room temperature before enjoying.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|