This chocolate mayonnaise cake has long been a favorite with my family. Mayonnaise is the secret ingredient in this super easy, moist chocolate cake and the optional peanut butter frosting is amazing. Mayonnaise replaces the eggs and oil in this easy chocolate cake.
I frosted it with the included fluffy peanut butter frosting (pictured), but feel free to dust the cake with powdered sugar or use this fluffy caramel cream cheese frosting or a basic butter frosting.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Frosting:
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (creamy)
- 1 cup sugar (confectioners)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: Milk or cream, if necessary
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda and salt.
- Whisk the sugar and mayonnaise until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and water.
- Add dry ingredients to the mayonnaise mixture; whisk until well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center with a finger.
- Cool, remove from the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar or frost with the peanut butter frosting, if desired.
Easy Peanut Butter Frosting
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat 6 tablespoons of softened butter with 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, if using.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the confectioners' sugar. Increase the speed to high and beat until fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add milk or cream in small amounts.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|