Nothing beats a creamy, thick chocolate shake after a nice burger and fries. It's the perfect decadent, drinkable dessert or snack. And it's so simple! Only three ingredients and nice dollop whipped cream on top. Finish it all off with a little shaved chocolate if you're feeling super fancy.
This recipe is a great milkshake base, it's so simple. There's so many different add ins that take this milkshake to the next level! Make it over the top by adding cookies, toasted marshmallows, or even candy bars! Check out all the variations we tried out!
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup whole milk (cold)
- garnish: whipped cream, shaved chocolate
- optional: 1/4 cup chocolate chips
Gather your ingredients.
Place the ice cream, milk, and chocolate syrup into the blender. Don't waste any time after scooping, you don't want the ice cream to melt too much. If you're adding chocolate chips, you can also throw those in now.
Blend until completely smooth.
Pour into your glasses immediately and top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate!
- Since this recipe is so simple, make sure to use high-quality ingredients. Whole milk will give the richest taste. A quality ice cream with only a few simple ingredients (no additives or thickeners) will taste the best. Make sure you love how your chocolate syrup tastes, as it's the primary flavor!
- Mocha Milkshake: Replace half of the milk with cold, strong, freshly brewed coffee, for a milkshake with a zing of caffeine!
- Make it Dairy-Free!: This shake is so easy to make dairy-free: Replace the whole milk with almond, coconut, or oat milk and the ice cream with a dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake: Add in a quarter cup of creamy peanut butter and a little more milk if it's too thick.
- Nutella Milkshake: Add in a quarter-cup of Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread and a little more milk if needed.
- Chocolate Oreo Milkshake: Toss in a cup of Oreo cookies to the milkshake and blend. Add a little more milk if it's too thick.
- S'more Milkshake: Toast 5 marshmallows under the broiler, cool, then toss them in with the other milkshake ingredients. Blend all the ingredients together and serve with crumbled graham crackers and a few extra toasted marshmallows. A little shaved chocolate won't hurt either.
- Snickers Shake: Add a tablespoon of caramel sauce, 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter and then top the shake with chopped up Snickers bars!