Chocolate mousse is the quintessential romantic French dessert.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate (melted and kept lukewarm)
- Heat 2/3 cup of cream in small saucepan until it just begins to steam.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar, and then add ½ hot cream, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Add the warm egg-cream blend back into the hot cream in the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 165 F on a digital candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and melted chocolate. Chill the chocolate custard thoroughly.
- Beat remaining 1 1/3 cups of cream in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Thoroughly stir ½ cup of the whipped cream into the chilled chocolate custard, and then gently fold in the remaining cream.
- The chocolate mousse is ready when the chocolate custard is thoroughly incorporated into the whipped cream, and no marbling shows.
- Serve chilled.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||69 g|
|Saturated Fat||41 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|