|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
The pie filling for this baked chocolate pie is a custard-like combination of cocoa, flour, egg yolks, and butter. The pie is finished with a fluffy fresh whipped cream topping. This is such a delicious pie, and who doesn't love chocolate? If you will be serving the pie to a large group, feel free to cover the whole pie with the whipped cream. Or, offer the whipped cream at the table and let people choose how much they add.
- For the Shell:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker (finely ground into crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For the Pie Filling:
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup water (divided)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream, chilled)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (confectioners)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: grated or shaved semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
Heat the oven to 400 F (200C/Gas 6).
In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs with the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix well.
Pat the crumbs firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate.
Bake the pie crust for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
Make the filling: mix cocoa and flour in top of a double boiler over hot water and whisk in about half of the 1 cup of water, just enough to make a smooth paste.
Blend in the 1 cup of granulated sugar and the beaten egg yolks and add remaining water and milk. Cook over low heat, stirring until the mixture is thick; add the 2 tablespoons of butter and vanilla.
Pour the filling into the chilled pie crust. Chill thoroughly.
Make the whipped cream: in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the chilled whipped cream until fluffy and almost stiff.
Sift the confectioners' sugar over the whipped cream and add the vanilla. Beat until the cream forms stiff peaks.
Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pie or serve individual slices of pie with a dollop of whipped cream. Return the pie to the refrigerator to chill until serving time. If desired, sprinkle with grated or shaved chocolate.
- If you are short on time, use a ready-made purchased crumb crust or prebaked and cooled pastry crust for the pie.
- Add 1 teaspoon of espresso powder to the cocoa powder.
- Adapt the crust recipe with this brown sugar pecan graham cracker combination; it is a tasty alternative with plenty of crunch. Replace the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar with brown sugar. In the food processor, pulse 6 whole sheets of graham crackers with 2/3 cup of pecan halves (toasted if desired) until crumbs are fine. Combine in a bowl with 6 tablespoons of melted butter; mix well and bake as directed.