The pie filling is a custard-like combination of cocoa, flour, egg yolks, and butter. The pie is finished with a fluffy fresh whipped cream topping. Feel free to use a tub of frozen (thawed) whipped topping on this pie.
- For the Shell:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker (finely ground into crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For the Pie Filling:
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup water (divided)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream, chilled)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (confectioners)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: grated or shaved semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200C/Gas 6).
- In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs with the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix well.
- Pat the crumbs firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate.
- Bake the pie crust for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
- Make the filling: mix cocoa and flour in top of a double boiler over hot water and whisk in about half of the 1 cup of water, just enough to make a smooth paste.
- Blend in the 1 cup of granulated sugar and the beaten egg yolks and add remaining water and milk. Cook over low heat, stirring until the mixture is thick; add the 2 tablespoons of butter and vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the chilled pie crust. Chill thoroughly.
- Make the whipped cream: in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the chilled whipped cream until fluffy and almost stiff.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar over the whipped cream and add the vanilla. Beat until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pie or serve individual slices of pie with a dollop of whipped cream. Return the pie to the refrigerator to chill until serving time. If desired, sprinkle with grated or shaved chocolate.
Tips and Variations
- Alternatively, use a ready-made purchased crumb crust or prebaked and cooled pastry crust for the pie.
- Brown Sugar Pecan Graham Cracker Crust: Replace the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar with brown sugar. In the food processor, pulse 6 whole sheets of graham crackers with 2/3 cup of pecan halves (toasted if desired) until crumbs are fine. Combine in a bowl with 6 tablespoons of melted butter; mix well and bake as directed.
- Add 1 teaspoon of espresso powder to the cocoa powder.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|