These buttery chocolate shortbread cookies are incredibly delicious. Cocoa is added to the basic shortbread formula for the cookies, making them a chocolate lover's dream.
Roll the dough out and score into squares or wedges, or shape the dough into small balls to make individual cookies.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 ounces)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 9 ounces butter (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons, room temperature)
- Heat the oven to 325° F (165° C/Gas 3).
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the powdered sugar, flour, and cocoa powder; blend well with a whisk or spoon.
- Cut the butter in with a hand-held pastry blender or food processor until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and knead by hand until the dough holds together. Shape into two flattened disks.
- The dough can be rolled out to make wedges or formed into individual cookies.
- Pat or roll each disk of dough on an ungreased baking sheet to an 8-inch square or round shape. I roll them out on silicone baking mats and slide them onto the pan.Score the dough into square or rectangle shapes or wedges, but do not cut through.
- Alternatively, shape the dough into small balls and flatten with a flat-bottom glass dipped in granulated sugar. Space about an inch apart on the ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cookies are set.
- Cool briefly and then cut the cookies along the score lines while still warm. Cool completely on racks.
- Handle shortbread dough gently and do not overmix.
- Heavy, flat baking sheets are best for baking cookies. The rims on jelly roll pans can deflect the heat, resulting in uneven baking. Turn the rimmed baking sheet upside down.
- Cool baking sheets before baking subsequent batches.
- Rotate the baking sheet about halfway through the cooking time for an even bake.
- If you use parchment paper, you can just slide the cookies, parchment and all, onto a rack to cool.
- Cookie dough freezes well. Freeze half for another day or make a double batch.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|