If you love the combination of chocolate and sesame then this cocktail will having you coming back for seconds. In general, chocolate cocktails are lots of fun, but can sometimes be so sweet that it feels more like you're drinking a milkshake than an adult beverage. It's important to layer the flavors for a good balance of sweet and strong. Using coffee flavor is a great way to not only enhance the chocolate (even in cakes and other baked goods), but to tone down the sometimes cloying sugar of liqueurs. A little simple syrup for sweetness is needed and also helps tone down the harsh alcohol flavor of the vodka. Plus it's a good vehicle for adding unusual flavors.
Sesame and chocolate are always a good match in desserts and they play just as well together in drinks. Adding a tablespoon of plain tahini (sesame paste) to the sugar syrup gives it a great nutty flavor as well as a delectable creaminess. If you have some left over after you make the drinks, you can store it in a lidded jar in the fridge for up to a week. It will likely separate but a good shake or whisking will bring it back together again.
Just as both the chocolate and the sesame work well together, both are wonderful with the warm spices of cinnamon and ginger. The milk or cream adds some additional richness and also smooths out the vodka. But adjust according to your own taste so as not to totally lose the alcohol kick. Cocktails should have a kick, don't you think?
The chocolate flavor here comes from creme de cacao which is a common bar mixer. Likewise, there are several common coffee liqueur brands that will work for the coffee taste that's needed.
When the Mayans first started drinking chocolate, they probably didn't have this in mind but they would almost certainly approve. Cheers!
- For the Cocktail:
- 3 oz. vodka
- 2 oz. spiced tahini simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 4 oz. milk or cream
- 1 oz. chocolate liqueur
- 1 oz. coffee liqueur
- 1 oz. crumbled halva candy for topping
- For the Spiced Tahini Simple Syrup:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste)
- Pinch of sea salt
- To make the spiced tahini simple syrup, add the sugar and water to a pot and heat on a medium flame just until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the ground ginger, ground cinnamon, sesame paste and salt, until thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool.
- To make the cocktail, add the vodka, 2 oz. of the tahini syrup, milk or cream, chocolate liqueur and coffee liqueur to a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker with ice and give it a heavy shake. Pour into chilled cocktail glasses ad sprinkle the crumbled halva candy on top.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||30 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|