This moist, delicious chocolate upside down cake makes its own thick chocolate topping. It's a pudding cake with amazing flavor, and it is super easy to make.
Invert it while it is still hot from the oven and serve it warm with whipped cream or whipped topping. Or serve it with a scoop of vanilla or fudge ripple ice cream!
- 3/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose, unsifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup water (boiling)
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour an 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt together. Stir to blend thoroughly.
- In the top of a double boiler or in a stainless steel or glass bowl over simmering water, melt the unsweetened chocolate with butter.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients along with milk and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spoon chocolate cake batter into the prepared pan, and spread it evenly.
For the Topping:
- Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan or in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave.
- Meanwhile, combine the 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, the 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and the unsweetened cocoa. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over batter,
- Pour boiling water evenly over the topping.
- Bake the cake in the preheated 350 F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake to a rack. While it is still hot, place a cake plate or platter over the cake and carefully invert the cake. With a spatula, scrape out any topping remaining in the pan and spread it over the inverted cake.
Serve the cake warm or cold.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|