This delicious chocolate zucchini cake is a nice alternative to zucchini bread. Cocoa and cinnamon give this homemade chocolate zucchini cake amazing flavor, and the zucchini and pecans add texture and moisture.
The cake is made from scratch with buttermilk and vegetable oil. A light dusting of confectioners' sugar is all you need to top the cake, but feel free to add a basic vanilla cake glaze or this easy caramel glaze.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 9 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 pound raw zucchini, shredded
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- confectioners' sugar to sift over cake
- Gather the ingredients.
- Generously grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas Mark 4) .
Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with hand held electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs until light in color and fluffy. Gradually beat in granulated sugar until light and fluffy; beat in oil.
- With mixer at low speed, beat in the sifted dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Drain shredded zucchini; fold into the flour mixture along with vanilla and pecans. Spoon into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan to cool completely. Sift confectioners' sugar over cake before serving.
"Move over bread and muffins. Here comes Chocolate Zucchini Cake! Family loved it ,even the kids. Moist and rich with flavor. Store in airtight container with half an apple. Refrigerate. The apple keeps the cake moist and fresh longer than merely popping it into the refrigerator." — Linda
You Might Also Like
Easy Chocolate Zucchini Cake - Made with a cake mix