|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate 89g||32%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This rice salad includes summer squash, tomatoes, spinach, green onions, and a lemon and olive oil dressing. It pairs well with grilled or broiled steak, fish or seafood.
Feel free to substitute with other vegetables, such as thinly sliced red onion, cooked fresh or frozen peas, cooked Frenched green beans, pea pods, etc.
- 2 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely minced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, rolled together tightly and very thinly sliced (chiffonade technique)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small carrot, grated or minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: slivered toasted almonds
Toss prepared vegetables together in a glass or ceramic bowl (non-reactive container).
In a small bowl with the lemon juice, drizzle olive oil while whisking, to emulsify the liquids. Add to vegetables; cover and refrigerate for an hour.
Add cooked, cooled rice; add salt and pepper to taste.
To toast almonds, put them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and turning constantly, just until lightly browned and aromatic.
Top with toasted almonds.
Refrigerate until serving time.