Breakfast Casseroles are so easy to make and are so versatile! I've seen lots of different tater tot casseroles for breakfast or other meals with bacon, and cheese, and eggs. They all look so delicious, but I love eating sweet potato and also love all of it's nutritional benefits! The sweet potato tater tots and spicy chorizo sausage make this breakfast casserole especially unique and so delicious! The savory and spicy sausage mixes with the sweet and succulent sweet potato and it's heaven!
You can easily substitute regular tater tots too, but the sweet potatoes goes so well with the other flavors!
You can make this casserole ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for a day or two, or the freezer for a month or two! Just make sure it's wrapped up tightly! It's also really cute made in a pie shape! You can easily slice it up and serve it to hungry guests! Just make sure that the pan has been well greased!
You can also make smaller portions of this casserole in muffin cups! Pop them out and take them to go! You can also remove the chorizo and replace it with turkey sausage and omit the Sriracha if you are looking for something that is not so spicy!
Serve up this casserole recipe with a dollop of sour cream and a warm cup of joe!
- 1 package of sweet potato tater tots (at room temperature) (or about 4 cups of shredded and steamed sweet potatoes)
- 3 chorizo sausages (casings removed or 1/2 lb. bulk chorizo sausage)
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- Layer the tater tots in a greased 9x9 baking dish. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the chorizo sausage in a saute pan, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Beat the egg together with the milk, salt and pepper, chili powder, and onion powder.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tots. Top the eggs with the cooked chorizo sausage. Make sure to drain the fat off of the chorizo sausage before transferring.
- Bake the casserole for 25 minutes, uncovered, until the egg is cooked and the edges are golden brown.
- Top the casserole with the cheddar cheese and bake for another 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly!
- Drizzle the casserole with the hot sauce and sprinkle the chopped scallions on top!
- Serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|