Queso, it just means cheese, but in our house it means so much more! It means a spicy, smooth, and highly addictive cheese dip. It is so simple to make and is a staple on our Christmas appetizer table! Actually, we just eat it all day long from about December 23rd to the New Year. We eat way too much of these cheesy gold. We also eat tons of sausage bread and cheese balls. Cheese!
Most often we use regular Velveeta and a can of Rotel tomatoes, but this Christmas version is so delicious and pretty! It uses the queso blanco version of the cheese and extra diced green chiles are added in for that pretty red and green! If you can't find the queso blanco, regular old white American cheese can be used. Just buy the kind that does not have the little wrappers around them so you don't have to spend forever peeling them off!
A crock pot is a great tool for this dip. When it's on the warming setting, it will keep the queso hot and smooth! My brother bought me a little mini crock pot made just for warming queso a few years ago for Christmas; he knows me so well :)
A microwavable dish or a cast iron skillet will also do the trick. Serve this cheese dish up with tortilla chips, or warm tortillas. Or you can just cover some tacos with it; you can't really go wrong here, people.
- 1 lb Velveeta Queso Blanco
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and chiles (Rotel, hot, regular, or medium)
- 1/2 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon diced jalapenos
- Chop the cheese into large square chunks. Combine the cheese with the diced tomatoes, chiles, and lime juice. Do not drain the tomatoes unless you want the cheese dip to be extra thick.
- This dish can be made using a crock pot, microwaveable casserole dish, or a cast iron skillet. Place the cheese mixture in your desired cooking vessel. If using a crockpot set it on low or high, depending on how fast you need that cheese in your mouth. Simply cover it and stir occasionally until it has been warmed through and no chunks remain. It should be very smooth. Keep the crock pot on "warm" and the queso will stay smooth for an entire party!
- If using a microwavable dish, microwave on high for 2 minute increments, stirring between each increment. Continue until the cheese is smooth.
- If using a cast iron skillet, heat it on medium heat, add in the cheese mixture and stir frequently. The cheese will brown the easiest using this method, so keep a close eye on it and stir to prevent burning.
- For additional spiciness, add freshly diced jalapenos.
- Serve with tortilla chips! Reheat the cheese if it cools and becomes too firm!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|