This is an easy simmered potato soup made with the addition of diced ham and shredded Cheddar cheese. It is filling and flavorful, and it makes a tasty lunch or dinner your family will love.
This is also an excellent way to use leftover ham. Add crackers, cornbread, biscuits, or crusty bread for a delicious soup supper or lunch. Add corn or replace the ham with browned sausage or some bacon. See some other substitutions and tips below the recipe.
The soup takes only 40 to 45 minutes to prepare and cook, so it's an excellent choice for a busy day. The recipe is easily doubled for a crowd or tailgating event. Transfer the hot soup to the slow cooker to keep warm for serving.
- 3 medium red potatoes (peeled, cut into small cubes)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup cooked ham (cubed)
- Optional: kosher salt and black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh chopped)
- Bring water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil; add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Drain; reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid (add water to measure 1 cup if necessary). Set the potatoes and cooking liquid aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté chopped onion in the hot butter until tender.
- Add flour to butter and onion mixture; stir until smooth.
- Season with a little pepper; continue to cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the reserved 1 cup of cooking liquid, milk, and potatoes.
- Stir well; add cheese and ham.
- Simmer the soup over low heat, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.
- Replace the ham with browned breakfast sausage or Italian sausage.
- Add about 1/4 cup of chopped green onion to the soup mixture along with the ham.
- Add 1 cup of chopped fresh spinach to the soup mixture when you add the ham and cheese.
- Add 1 cup of corn kernels to the soup when you add the ham and cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|