Love cinnamon rolls, but don't have the time to make them?? Cinnamon roll cream of wheat to the rescue! It tastes so similar to cinnamon rolls but can be whipped up in under five minutes! It's also really easy to make in larger batches to feed a crowd or to have on hand for a microwavable breakfast!
I have so many fond memories of making cream of wheat for breakfast on busy school mornings. There is something so comforting about a big, steaming, warm bowl of the stuff. I always used to top mine with a drizzle of maple syrup. I still love it that way, but this sweet and simple cinnamon alternative is amazing!
I never knew what Cream of Wheat was made of...obviously wheat, but what part? Turns out it is basically semolina flour, a coarser flour used to make pasta! It is pretty much the wheat equivalent of grits, although it is finer. It is a great alternative to grits for those who have corn allergies! It's also a great alternative to the typical oatmeal!
- For the Cream of Wheat:
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup Cream of Wheat (farina)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Cinnamon Topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- For the Glaze Topping:
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 5 tablespoons confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring the two cups of milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Add the salt, sugar, and vanilla extract. Heat until the the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add in the cream of wheat, stirring until it is completely incorporated. Use a whisk to smooth out any lumps that may occur.
- Depending on the type of cream of wheat you are using there will be different cook times. Cook on low for the amount of time directed on the box.
- While the Cream of Wheat is cooking, prepare the two toppings. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. If it is too thick, add a tiny bit of milk. If is too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar. Whisk until there are no more lumps.
- Remove the Cream of Wheat from heat and and divide evenly between two bowls.
- Drizzle the two different toppings over the top of each bowl. Eat immediately!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|