It’s spice rather than vast amounts of sticky sugar that lend distinction to these light and tasty cinnamon rolls. No napkins required.
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups melted butter plus 1/3 cup melted butter for filling
- 1 cup sugar for dough plus 2/3 cup sugar for filling
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground
- cardamom (from about 25 cardamom pods)
- 2 pkg. dry active yeast (4 1/2 tsp.)
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg plus 2 tbsp. water, lightly beaten together into an egg wash
- Prepare your basic cardamom bread dough using the first 7 ingredients listed above (this takes about 1 1/2 hours).
- After punching down dough following its first rise, remove from bowl and knead lightly on the floured counter until smooth and shiny. Divide dough into two halves.
- Roll each half of dough into a 12” by 18” rectangle. Brush each rectangle well with melted butter. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and 2 tbsp. cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the 2 rectangles. Roll each rectangle crosswise, like a jelly roll, to form an 18”-long cylinder.
- Using a sharp or serrated knife, cut each cylinder into 20 equal slices.
- Place each slice into a paper cupcake wrapper and place on baking sheet. Cover with a towel and allow to double in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Brush risen cinnamon rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar and/or almonds. Place in the middle of a preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until done.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|