This unique bean pie is a flavorful and protein-rich pie spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. The pie is baked in a partially baked pie shell. Top slices with a dollop of whipped cream or whipped topping and a sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar.
Your family and friends will be surprised when they find out the filling is made with beans!
- 1 prepared pie crust, 9-inch
- 2 (15 ounces each) cans Great Northern beans, drained
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or use freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- If using a frozen or packaged pie crust, partially bake it following the package directions. For a homemade pie crust (recipe suggestions below), line the pie plate with the rolled out dough and prick the pastry all over. Fit a sheet of foil over the bottom and up the sides of the pastry, and fill it with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C/Gas 5) oven for 15 minutes. Remove the pie shell to a rack and remove the beans and foil. Let it cool while you prepare the filling.
- Reduce the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C/Gas 4).
- In mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the drained beans until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder and milk. With the mixer on low speed, beat the milk mixture into the bean filling mixture until well blended. Pour the filling into the cooled pie shell.
- Bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set. Let the pie cool completely before serving.
- Serve the pie with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|