This Southern baked macaroni and cheese is a fabulous dish to serve as a side dish or main dish. This is a baked, bread crumb-topped macaroni and cheese is an excellent choice for any meal or occasion.
To brown the bread crumbs a little more, turn the broiler on for a minute or two just before taking the casserole out of the oven. Watch carefully, though, for signs the topping is getting too dark.
I used whole wheat macaroni in this version, but regular macaroni, mini penne pasta, ditalini, or other similar pasta shapes would also work well.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream or half-and-half (or more milk)
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Cook macaroni following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water; set aside.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Stir flour into the butter until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually add milk and cream, stirring constantly. continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add cheese and continue to cook and stir until melted.
- Combine the macaroni and the sauce and turn into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the buttered bread crumbs and bake for about 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||55 g|
|Saturated Fat||32 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|