This sauce certainly produces a great rack of BBQ Ribs. Whether they are smoked low and slow or baked in the oven, this BBQ Rib sauce will add a touch of heat, a bit of smoke, and a lot of flavor. As always, adjust the amount of cayenne called for in the recipe to suit your tastes.
- 1/4 cup/60 mL minced onion
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL water
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- 2 cups/475 ketchup
- 1/3 cup/80 mL brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne (optional)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Blend onion and water into a puree.
- Heat a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. When the oil is warm, pour in onion puree. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly and simmer on low for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before using, about 30 minutes.
- If making ahead, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|