|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
When it's cold outside, having soup is as natural as wrapping yourself in a warm blanket and covering your feet with thermal socks. This classic beef barley recipe is a healthier comfort food that the whole family can enjoy in the fall and winter months. Here we give you a soup that is not too thin and not too thick. It's a hearty combination of vegetables, ground beef, and barley with a taste that will bring back memories. Serve this warm with a rustic loaf of bread or biscuits and a crispy salad.
Adding croutons, fried onions, shredded cabbage or softened cubed potatoes would make the dish look finished and give it the twist it deserves. To make it extra special, pair the soup with a glass of wine and serve with a decadent dessert.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 3 to 4 medium carrots (diced)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 (28 ounces) can tomatoes
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- Optional: 1 (10 1/2 ounces) can tomato soup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain well.
Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker; add barley and remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, then on low 5-6 hours.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Given the simplicity of beef barley soup, you can make it more elegant and fancy for a dinner or dress it down for a quick lunch. It's all in the presentation and accompaniments. A lunch might pair the soup with an open-faced sandwich or a couple of boiled eggs, while homemade croutons or a cheese topping could add some pizazz to the soup itself.
- Pair this soup with a dry red wine or red blend.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cabbage to the soup along with the barley and vegetables.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of diced potatoes to the slow cooker.
- For a spicy vibe, add a dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce.