Faggots are an old-fashioned British food and one that has sadly fallen out of favor in recent years. How lovely that there is a revival of interest in this humble meat dish, possibly because they are so easy and cheap to make.
Traditionally, faggots are made from offal, usually pork, and from the bits of the animal that are generally discarded but now tend to just be the liver and possibly, the heart.
- 4 oz./110 g. fatty pork shoulder (roughly chopped)
- 4 oz./110 g. pig's liver (roughly chopped)
- 8 oz./250 g. fatty belly pork (roughly chopped)
- 4 oz./110 g. bacon scraps
- 4 oz./110 g. breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. mace
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 2 tbsp. parsley (chopped)
- 2 sage leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 small red chili (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Caul* fat (or streaky bacon)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 445 F/170 C/Gas 3.
Mince all the roughly chopped meats in a hand mincer.
Place the minced meat into a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, the onion, the herbs, spices, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Wet your hands under running cold water, then divide and roll the minced meat mixture into 8 evenly-sized balls.
Wrap each ball in caul or streaky bacon, making sure the caul or bacon overlaps and is secure.
Place the faggots onto a baking sheet.
Bake in the hot oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
Once cooked, remove from the oven and serve immediately. If you are not ready to eat the faggots then wrap in foil and keep warm.
- If you don't have a hand mincer for Step 3, then chop using a food processor, but do take care not to over mix or you will create a mush.
What to Serve With Faggots
*What is Caul?
Caul is the membrane which holds in animal organs and it makes a good container for the faggots. If you can't get caul, then use strips of streaky bacon but if you ask your butcher, they may be able to find some for you.