Now hold on to your footballs--it can be a picnic without potato or macaroni salad! This has similar ingredients but is a nice change from the usual. The beauty of this salad is that the flavor of the other ingredients comes through even better than it does in potato or macaroni salad.
This has a bite to it from the pepper but is mild enough to pass as "not spicy," although Dad always snuck extra Tabasco or pepper in it when no one was looking. This prompted the comment, "I don't understand why this is spicy, I made it according to the recipe." Dad sat with his head down and his sheepish grin, looking innocent.
- 3 cups cooked rice (about 1 cup raw, cooled)
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons stoneground mustard or Creole mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In a large bowl combine the cooled cooked rice with the green onions and bell pepper. Toss to blend ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, salt, white pepper, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the rice and vegetables and gently toss to blend.
- Add part red bell pepper with the green bell for extra color.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped celery to the salad.
- A diced hard-boiled egg may be added, or garnish with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|