|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|Total Sugars 16g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This carrot salad is a flavorful and colorful side dish to serve with a holiday meal, everyday dinner, or your next cookout. For winter holidays, you can replace the raisins with dried cranberries. Pineapple chunks are an excellent addition as well, especially with a Christmas or Easter ham dinner. Even though the salad is a simple preparation with just a few basic ingredients, the flavors are amazing.
Multicolored carrots make a beautiful salad if you can find them. Look for them at local farmers markets and grocery stores when they're in season. Trader Joe's sometimes has "rainbow carrots."
6 to 8 medium multicolored carrots, about 3/4 pound
3/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice, or cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste, optional
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Using a food processor with a shredding disc or a box grater, shred the carrots coarsely.
In a large bowl, combine the carrots with the raisins.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Taste and add freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
Add the dressing to the shredded carrots and raisins and toss to mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl and chill until serving time.
- Make It Ahead: Prepare the salad up to 48 hours in advance. Cover the bowl and keep the salad refrigerated until serving time.
- Use apple cider vinegar rather than lemon juice.
- Omit the sugar and add 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of drained pineapple chunks or drained crushed pineapple in addition to the raisins.
- Peel, core, and chop or shred a medium sweet apple and add it to the salad along with the raisins.
- Replace the raisins with dried cranberries or "Craisins."
- Add about 4 to 5 tablespoons of blanched slivered almonds or sunflower seeds for some extra crunch.
- Add about 1 cup of shredded green or purple cabbage to the carrots. Just keep in mind purple cabbage will color the mayonnaise, so it should be added just before serving.