|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings chicken a la king|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||53%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Serve this classic chicken à la king over toast points, pastry shells, rice, or noodles. This is a very easy meal to fix, and it tastes wonderful with many side dishes.
Use leftover cooked chicken breasts, turkey, or the meat from a rotisserie chicken in this recipe.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 to 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups light cream, milk, or half-and-half
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- Optional: fresh parsley (chopped)
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced mushrooms, green bell pepper, and green onion, then cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Gradually add milk, cream, or half-and-half along with 1 cup of the chicken broth, stirring constantly.
Continue cooking over low to medium-low heat, stirring, until mixture is hot and thickened. Add more chicken broth, if necessary.
Cook for about 2 minutes longer. Add the diced chicken and pimiento and heat through.
Serve over toast points (see below) or rice, or spoon into baked puff pastry shells (see below).
Sprinkle each serving with chopped parsley if desired.
How to Make Toast Points
Heat broiler. Have a large baking sheet at the ready.
Brush 8 slices of bread with melted butter. Sprinkle the bread lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Arrange the bread on a large baking sheet and then toast under the broiler for about 3 to 4 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
Trim the crusts and cut each one in half diagonally. This will make two triangles per serving.
How to Make Puff Pastry Shells
Heat oven to 400 F (200 C). Lightly coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
Cut thawed puff pastry dough into squares that will fit into the muffin cups.
Gently press the dough into the muffin cups and then use a fork to prick the dough all over. Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Use the meat from a rotisserie chicken to make this recipe, or use poached or baked chicken breasts.
- Replace the diced cooked chicken with diced cooked turkey. Use leftover turkey or cooked turkey tenderloins or turkey breast.
- Replace the green onion with 1/4 cup of finely chopped sweet onion.
- Add steamed peas or peas and carrots to the sauce along with the chicken. Serve over rice or noodles.