This recipe for chicken and dumplings was shared by Liz. This version of the classic dish is made with easy parsley dumplings.
- 1 roasting hen or two frying chickens, cut up
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 5 ribs celery with leaves
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup cold water
- Place chicken in stock pot. Add enough water to cover.
- Add parsley, celery, carrot, onion, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and bring to a boil; simmer for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine milk and melted shortening. Add to the dry ingredients, along with the chopped fresh parsley.
- Stir just to moisten dry ingredients and drop by tablespoon directly onto the chicken in the boiling broth.
- Cover tightly.
- Return to the boil.
- Reduce heat without lifting cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Strain chicken broth.
- Measure 4 cups of broth into saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup flour with cold water; stir until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture to broth, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
You Might Also Like
Main Recipe Index
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|