|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 30g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||46%|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe for chicken and dumplings was shared by Liz. This version of the classic dish is made with easy parsley dumplings.
- 1 roasting hen or two frying chickens, cut up
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 5 ribs celery with leaves
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup cold water
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place chicken in stock pot. Add enough water to cover. Add parsley, celery, carrot, onion, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil; simmer for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk and melted shortening. Add to the dry ingredients, along with the chopped fresh parsley. Stir just to moisten dry ingredients and drop by tablespoon directly onto the chicken in the boiling broth.
- Cover tightly. Return to the boil. Reduce heat without lifting cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Strain chicken broth. Measure 4 cups of broth into saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup flour with cold water; stir until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture to broth, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until thickened.