These classic chicken croquettes are made with a thickened mushroom sauce and cooked chicken filling. The croquettes are coated with flour and breadcrumbs and deep-fried to delicious perfection.perfection.
Change them up with chopped cooked turkey or ham if you'd like. Serve them with a basic bechamel sauce or quick cream of mushroom soup sauce.
- Mushroom Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped mushrooms, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Chicken Filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups chopped skinless, cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt to taste
- Crumb Coating:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
Make the Sauce
- Heat the chicken broth until it just begins to simmer; set aside.
- Melt the butter in heavy, medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until very lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Let the roux cool for 1 minute, then gradually stir in chicken broth. If desired, stir in chopped mushrooms. Return the sauce to the heat and cook slowly for 20 minutes, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoons butter.
Prepare the Filling
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter; stir in chopped onion. Cook until onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Add the thickened sauce; cook for 1 minute. Spoon the sauce into a large bowl. Add the chopped chicken, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, pinch nutmeg, and a little salt, to taste. Mix to blend.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, until very firm.
Coat the Croquettes and Cook
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan or deep fryer to 370 F.
- Spread flour in a pie plate or large shallow bowl. Spread bread crumbs in another pie plate or large shallow bowl. Whisk together the eggs in another shallow bowl.
- Using a 1/4-cup measure as a scoop, drop scoops of the chilled chicken filling mixture into flour and roll gently until well coated. Roll the croquette ball in the beaten egg then roll in bread crumbs until coated on all sides. As you roll them, gently shape into an egg-shaped or cylindrical croquette. You should have 8 croquettes.
- Carefully lower 4 croquettes in the hot oil; fry until nicely browned on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining 4 croquettes.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||47 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|