This chicken gumbo recipe is a classic gumbo made with a roux, okra, and chicken. Like all good gumbo recipes, this one starts with a simple roux. This one also contains file powder.
Serve gumbo over a mound or white boiled rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, fine chop
- 5 cups warm chicken broth
- 8 tomatoes, peeled/chopped
- 1/2 pound okra, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1/2 cup Uncooked rice
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cooked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons file' powder
- In large Dutch oven, melt shortening over low heat; add flour and cook, stirring, until brown, about 10 minutes (do not hurry; if flour burns, roux is ruined).
- Add onions and bell pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add warm broth; stir until broth reaches a boil.
- Add tomatoes, okra, rice, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Add chicken; when mixture boils again, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes.
- Stir and cook, covered, 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and add filé powder or serve at the table for guests to sprinkle over their gumbo.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|