The filling for these simple classic deviled eggs is the perfect combination of mayonnaise, seasoned salt, and a little mustard. Use a Creole seasoning blend in place of the seasoned salt, if desired.
See Also: Top 12 Deviled Egg Recipes
- 6 large eggs
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt blend
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley or chives, optional
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: paprika
- Put the eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with water to about an inch above the eggs.
- Cover the saucepan and bring to a full boil over high heat. Leaving the cover on the pan, remove from the heat and let stand for 17 minutes.
- Pour out the hot water and cover with ice cold water. When the eggs are cold, peel under running water. See some tips for peeling hard-cooked eggs below.
- Slice the eggs in half lengthwise and set on a platter or egg plate. Scoop the yolks into a medium bowl. Tip: To keep them from wobbling, cut a thin, small slice off the bottoms of the egg white halves.
- Mash the yolks with a fork, then add the mayonnaise, mustard, and salt, seasoned salt, or Creole seasoning. Add chopped fresh chives or parsley, if desired.
- Taste and add freshly ground black pepper, as needed. If using salt-free seasoning, taste and add salt, as needed.
- Using a small spoon or cookie scoop, fill the egg white halves with the yolk mixture.
- Sprinkle the eggs lightly with paprika before serving.
Makes 6 servings of 2 halves each.
Tips for Peeling Hard-Cooked Eggs
- For easier peeling, use eggs which aren't very fresh. Eggs nearer the expiration date will peel more cleanly.
- Let the eggs stand in the ice water until thoroughly cooled.
- Crack the ends of the shell, then gently roll the egg on the counter to crack all over.
- Start the peeling at the wide end of the egg where there is a bit of air under the shell.
See Also: How to Tell If Your Eggs Are Fresh
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|