Here's a flavorful cinnamon-spiced blueberry pie. Use your favorite pie crust recipe or purchased refrigerated pastry to make this recipe.
Finish a top crust with an egg wash and sprinkle it with decorating sugar or cinnamon sugar just before baking.
- Pastry for 2-Crust Pie (See Below for Recipes):
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 6 cups fresh or frozen thawed blueberries, rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- For the Glaze:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
- Garnish: cinnamon-sugar or vanilla sugar
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- If making a homemade pie pastry, prepare and chill it following the recipe instructions.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice and grated rind, and blueberries.
- Roll out half of the pastry; line a 9-inch pie pan and trim edges.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into pie crust and dot with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to about 1/8 inch thick. Cover the filling; trim, turn edge under and crimp.
- Combine the egg yolk and milk; blend well. Lightly brush over the top crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or vanilla sugar. Cut several vents in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425 F for about 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. If the crust is browning too much, use a pie ring or foil ring to protect the edges.
S ee Also: All Butter Pie Pastry (pictured)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|