Eggs Benedict is a dish of English muffins topped with a round of Canadian bacon or thin slices of ham along with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. Though it sounds simple, the hollandaise sauce makes it an extra-special dish.
The dish purportedly originated in Manhattan's Delmonico's Restaurant. It was supposedly named after a regular customer, a Mrs. LeGrand Benedict.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- dash salt
- dash ground cayenne pepper
- 3 tomatoes, ends removed and halved
- 12 thin slices cooked ham or Canadian bacon
- 6 eggs
- 6 English muffins, split, toasted, and buttered
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk egg yolks and lemon juice together. Add 1/3 of the butter, about 3 tablespoons. Place double boiler over simmering water. Cook, whisking constantly until the butter melts and sauce begins to thicken. Add 3 more tablespoons of butter, stir until butter melts, then add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Slowly whisk in boiling water. Continue cooking over simmering water, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt and cayenne pepper.
- Place ham slices and tomato halves on rack of broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from heat for about 4 minutes, or until ham begins to get browned and tomatoes are cooked through.
- While the ham is under the broiler, pour about 3 inches of water into a large skillet. Add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar; bring the water to the boiling point.
- Break the eggs, one at a time, into a cup. Carefully slip the eggs into the water.
- Simmer the eggs over low heat, while basting with the water, for 3 to 4 minutes or until set and the yolks are done as desired. Remove with slotted spoon; drain.
- On warm serving plates, place toasted English muffins, 2 halves to each plate. Top halves with 2 slices of ham and a poached egg. Spoon a little sauce over the egg and place a thick slice of boiled tomato next to the egg.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|