This classic Frogmore stew is a highly seasoned shrimp boil with smoked sausage, potatoes, and corn on the cob. For seasoning, use Zatarain's crab boil, Old Bay Seasoning, or a similar mixture, or you can make a spicy homemade mixture, which is included below.
This recipe uses the standard low country boil ingredients: potatoes, sausage, fresh corn on the cob, and shrimp in the shell. Feel free to add about 1 pound of small boiling onions when you add the smoked sausage. Kielbasa is often included, but you can also use smoked spicy andouille sausage. If your family prefers spicy smoked chorizo or another type of smoked sausage, feel free to use that.
This is an excellent tailgating or camping recipe, and it can be cooked over a campfire or a portable gas burner. Feel free to scale the recipe up for a party or large gathering.
- 6 quarts water
- 1/2 cup Old Bay or crab or shrimp boil seasoning (see below for a homemade blend)
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds small red potatoes or round whites (scrubbed)
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds smoked sausages such as kielbasa, andouille, or smoked chorizo
- 6 ears of corn
- 1 1/2 pounds large or jumbo shrimp in the shell
- Put the water in a large stockpot. Stir the Old Bay or crab boil seasoning into the water and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into halves or quarters if large; you can leave them whole if they are small.
- Slice the sausage into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces. Shuck the corn and break each ear into halves or thirds.
- When the water comes to a full boil, add the potatoes and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and continue boiling for 12 minutes.
- Add the corn and continue boiling for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and continue boiling for 2 minutes.
- Use a hand-held strainer or pour into a colander and drain well. Turn out onto a surface covered with newspaper, brown paper, or several layers of paper towels.
- Serve with cocktail sauce and thick, crusty bread or dinner rolls.
Spicy Homemade Seafood Boil Seasoning
- Combine 1 cup salt with 2 tablespoons celery seeds, 2 tablespoons ground coriander, 3 to 4 bay leaves, 2 tablespoons ground mustard, 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon white pepper, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon ground allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups of seafood boil seasoning.