This colorful fruit salad is a gluten-free version of the classic fruit salad recipe based on cooked pineapple juice dressing. This is the recipe that we all loved as kids. It's sweet, creamy and the tangy pineapple dressing is delicious.
The recipe serves a crowd of 12 (or more), so if you are cooking for a small group, reduce the volume accordingly.
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drain and reserve juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can apricot halves, cut into bite sizes
- 2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced seedless grapes, green or red
- 1/2 pint of whipping cream
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Crack eggs into a medium saucepan. Whisk to blend. Add sweet rice flour. Whisk to blend. Add sugar and salt. Whisk and cook over medium heat until thick and creamy.
- Add reserved pineapple juice. Blend and cook until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and completely cool. This dressing can be made up to one day before making a salad. Chill in refrigerator.
- Whip cream until peaks form.
- Place prepared fresh and canned fruit in a large mixing bowl. Pour chilled dressing over fruit. Use a large spatula to thoroughly blend. Fold in whipped cream and marshmallows - optional.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|