The salty, tangy flavor of the feta cheese blends well with the lemon and olive oil dressing. It's no wonder the Greek salad is such a popular dish!
This version of the classic Greek salad is served on a bed of chopped romaine lettuce. Use red or green leaf lettuce if you prefer.
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 large tomato
- 3 radishes
- 1 small onion, yellow or red
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 3/4 cup feta cheese cubes
- 1/2 cup whole pitted black olives (
- Kalamata olives are traditional)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano or about 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, washed, dried, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel the cucumber if the peel is thick. Slice it into thin rounds. Cut out the stem and core of the tomato and chop. Thinly slice the radishes and onion. Slice the bell pepper into strips.
- Combine the cucumber and tomato with the sliced radishes and onion. Add the feta cheese and olives.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Shake or whisk to blend.
- Toss the vegetables with the lemon and olive oil mixture.
- Line individual salad bowls or plates with chopped lettuce and top with the salad mixture. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3 to 4 Servings.
Tips and Variations
Replace the large chopped tomato with about 1 cup of sliced grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|