Everyone loves a fully loaded Italian sub packed full of Italian meats, salty cheeses, fresh veggies and flavorful dressings - so why not try to make one yourself to make your lunchtime routine more exciting!
- Depending on how hungry you are, this thick flavorful sandwich can feed up to 2 or 4 people.
- As this sandwich sits, the flavors begin to meld and make it more flavorful over time. If you're waiting to eat it, be sure to wrap it tightly in butcher or wax paper so the ingredients stay in tack and the sandwich doesn't get soggy.
- Don't have these exact ingredients on hand? No worries! Any variation of Italian ingredients will do. Experiment with a mix of different lunch meats to see what you like best. Try to use different veggies and cheeses such as a nice pickle-y giardiniera with fresh mozzarella or roasted red peppers with asiago cheese.
- 1 large Italian sub roll
- 1 tbsp Italian vinaigrette
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 lb provolone cheese (sliced)
- 1/3 lb rosemary ham
- 1/4 lb mortadella
- 1/4 lb hot soppressata
- 3 fresh Campari tomatoes (sliced thick)
- 1/4 small onion (sliced)
- 2 handfuls of lettuce (I like arugula for its peppery bite)
- 2 tbsp chopped banana peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
Use a serrated knife to cut the Italian sub roll in half.
Place the sub roll in the middle of a sheet of wax or butcher paper and drizzle the inside of the bread with Italian vinaigrette and balsamic vinegar.
Next, add the provolone, ham, mortadella, Soppressata, tomatoes, onion, lettuce, banana peppers and salt and pepper.
Wrap the sandwich tightly in the butcher paper and slice the sandwich into 4 quarters. Eat now or wrap up tightly in more butcher paper until ready to eat.