This well-seasoned casserole is a big family favorite. Use Cheddar cheese or a Mexican cheese blend in this great-tasting chicken casserole. You can put this king ranch casserole together earlier in the day, then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. Serve with a tossed salad for an easy and fabulous family meal.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas (sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 cups chicken (diced or shredded, cooked)
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese (or Cheddar Jack cheese blend, shredded)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onion and bell pepper until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Add the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, tomatoes with green chiles, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and the black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Arrange about one-third of the tortilla strips in the baking dish.
- Top with about one-third of the chicken and about one-third (about 2 cups) of the sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the sauce layer.
- Repeat layers of the tortillas, chicken, cheese, and sauce two more times, ending with the cheese.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|