This well-seasoned casserole is a big family favorite. Use Cheddar cheese or a Mexican cheese blend in this great-tasting chicken casserole. You can put this king ranch casserole together earlier in the day, then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. Serve with a tossed salad for an easy and fabulous family meal.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar Jack cheese blend
- Grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oven to 350°.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion and bell pepper until softened. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, tomatoes with green chiles, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and the black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Arrange about one-third of the tortilla strips in the baking dish. Top with about one-third of the chicken and about one-third (about 2 cups) of the sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the sauce layer. Repeat layers of the tortillas, chicken, cheese, and sauce two more times, ending with the cheese.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 8 to 10.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||57 g|
|Saturated Fat||30 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|