|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This well-seasoned casserole is a big family favorite. Use Cheddar cheese or a Mexican cheese blend in this great-tasting chicken casserole. You can put this king ranch casserole together earlier in the day, then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. Serve with a tossed salad for an easy and fabulous family meal.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar Jack cheese blend
Grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oven to 350°.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion and bell pepper until softened. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
Add the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, tomatoes with green chiles, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and the black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes.
Arrange about one-third of the tortilla strips in the baking dish. Top with about one-third of the chicken and about one-third (about 2 cups) of the sauce mixture.
Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the sauce layer. Repeat layers of the tortillas, chicken, cheese, and sauce two more times, ending with the cheese.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 8 to 10.