|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 57g||73%|
|Saturated Fat 30g||151%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This well-seasoned casserole is a big family favorite. Use Cheddar cheese or a Mexican cheese blend in this great-tasting chicken casserole. You can put this king ranch casserole together earlier in the day, then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. Serve with a tossed salad for an easy and fabulous family meal.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas (sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 cups chicken (diced or shredded, cooked)
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese (or Cheddar Jack cheese blend, shredded)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onion and bell pepper until softened.
Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
Add the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, tomatoes with green chiles, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and the black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes.
Arrange about one-third of the tortilla strips in the baking dish.
Top with about one-third of the chicken and about one-third (about 2 cups) of the sauce mixture.
Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the sauce layer.
Repeat layers of the tortillas, chicken, cheese, and sauce two more times, ending with the cheese.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Serve and enjoy!