A vintage recipe for molasses cookies with cinnamon and ginger and cloves. For easy rolling, put the dough on a silicone mat or floured surface and put a sheet of plastic wrap over the dough.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup water (boiling)
- 1 cup flour (plus more, see below)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1 teaspoon cloves (ground)
- 4 cups flour (as needed, enough to make a smooth dough to roll out)
- Cream shortening with sugar.
- Beat in egg, molasses, and boiling water.
- Stir in 1 cup flour, soda, and salt.
- Add spices and remaining 4 cups of flour, or as needed to make a stiff dough.
- Mix well, shape into a ball or loaf and wrap in waxed paper.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Next day, roll out on floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on greased and floured baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)