- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup water (boiling)
- 1 cup flour (plus more, see below)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1 teaspoon cloves (ground)
- 4 cups flour (as needed, enough to make a smooth dough to roll out)
Cream shortening with sugar. Beat in egg, molasses, and boiling water. Stir in 1 cup flour, soda, and salt. Add spices and remaining 4 cups of flour, or as needed to make a stiff dough. Mix well, shape into a ball or loaf and wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Next day, roll out on floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.
Place on greased and floured baking sheets.
Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|