This Monte Cristo sandwich is a classic French toast-style sandwich. The filling is a combination of sliced ham, turkey or chicken, and cheese, along with mustard or mayonnaise. The assembled sandwich is battered in an egg mixture and then it's browned on both sides.
You can use sliced, boiled or baked deli ham and turkey or leftover sliced ham in the sandwich. I like these sandwiches with Havarti cheese.
- 18 slices bread
- 6 slices ham
- 6 slices turkey or chicken
- 12 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- Optional: mustard and mayonnaise
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For each sandwich use 3 slices of bread. Butter one side of bread first, then cover with a slice of ham and a slice of turkey or chicken.
- Butter both sides of the second slice of bread and spread with a little mustard or other dressing, if desired. Place the bread slice on top of turkey or ham slice and top with 2 thin slices of cheese.
- Butter the third slice for top; press sandwich lightly and trim crusts.
- Cut each sandwich into halves diagonally and secure with toothpicks.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with milk and salt.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add butter to coat the pan.
- Carefully dip the sandwich halves into the egg mixture.
- Brown the sandwiches on all sides, adding more butter to the pan when necessary. Remove toothpicks before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|