|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A traditional prawn cocktail was a popular appetizer in the 1960s and '70s. Back then it was considered sophisticated but over time, it sadly fell out of fashion. But in recent times, the prawn cocktail has experienced a resurgence as a go-to party food. Though times have changed, the recipe remains much the same.
A prawn cocktail (or shrimp cocktail) is one of the quickest and easiest of starters. However, having a super tasty one is not that easy if you don't use the best ingredients, particularly when it comes to the prawns and shrimp. There are many cheap, frozen prawns available in the supermarket freezer but these do not make good cocktails. Once defrosted, they often tend to be watery and tasteless.
Use a good mayonnaise for the sauce and, if you have the time, make your own, you will notice the difference. Adding a dash of creamed horseradish zaps up the cocktail. If you don't have any creamed horseradish on hand, just add tomato ketchup for a tasty sauce.
- 17.5 ounces / 500 g prawns (or shrimp, cooked and peeled)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (homemade or good-quality)
- 1 tablespoon creamed horseradish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce (or romaine, shredded)
- Garnish: 1 lime (quartered)
- Optional: 4 large tail-on shelled prawns
Gather the ingredients.
Place the cooked and peeled prawns in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise, creamed horseradish, and tomato ketchup and stir to combine all the ingredients. Make sure all the prawns or shrimp are coated in the sauce. If the sauce seems thin, add a little more of each sauce ingredient.
Divide the shredded lettuce between 4 large wine glasses and top with the prawns and sauce. Arrange neatly, don't just plop the shrimp on top.
Garnish each glass with a wedge of lime and an optional prawn on the edge of the glass.
Serve the prawn cocktails immediately with small slices of buttered brown bread and enjoy!
- If you are not serving the prawn cocktail immediately, then assemble the sauce and keep it in the fridge with the prawns. Then put them together at the last minute. If you make the cocktail too far in advance, it tends to become watery and split.
- Refrigerate any leftovers, but it is best to eat them as soon as possible, definitely within a day.