|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 8mg||40%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These great-tasting scalloped potatoes contain milk, flour, and butter, with a cheddar cheese topping added just before they come out of the oven. Make these flavorful potatoes to go along with an everyday meal or serve them with your holiday dinner. They are excellent with steaks or roasts, and they go well with fish and seafood dishes.
For a heartier casserole, add some diced ham or crumbled bacon in between the layers of potatoes. We like to rub the baking dish with cut slices of garlic before buttering the dish.
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C/Gas 5. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
Layer about one-third of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish.
In a cup or small bowl, combine the flour with the salt and pepper. Sprinkle about half of the flour mixture over the potatoes.
Repeat with another layer of one-third of the potatoes and the flour mixture and top with remaining potato slices. Dot with butter and then pour the hot milk over the potatoes.
Cover the baking dish with a lid or foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender.
Remove the cover or foil and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the potatoes.
Return the potatoes to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and cheese has melted.
Serve and enjoy!
Why Are They Called Scalloped Potatoes?
The cooking term "scalloped" refers to the preparation of sliced food layered with cream or a creamy sauce in a casserole. Scalloped dishes are frequently finished with a topping of breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs before baking. This recipe for scalloped potatoes does not contain breadcrumbs, but feel free to add a layer of buttered breadcrumbs along with the cheese topping, or omit the cheese and add the buttered breadcrumbs.
What's the Difference Between Scalloped and Au Gratin?
Scalloped and au gratin are similar preparations. Scalloped means that the food is sliced and layered in a creamy sauce and might have a crumb topping. A gratin is any dish heated in the oven with a crispy topping of buttered crumbs or cheese.
How Can You Keep Scalloped Potatoes Curdle Free?
Lower fat milk tends to curdle when cooked for a long period of time. If you want to avoid the sauce breaking or curdling in your scalloped potatoes, try using higher fat milk, such as half-and-half or cream. Higher starch potatoes might help as well because they break down and help thicken the sauce. Instead of lower starch red potatoes or Yukon gold, use Russets or baking potatoes.
How to Store and Freeze
Cover leftover scalloped potatoes and refrigerate them for up to 4 days or freeze them for up to 3 weeks. Defrost frozen scalloped potatoes in the refrigerator overnight. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes register at least 165 F on an instant-read thermometer.
- To scald milk: Put the cold milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Heat while stirring, scraping the bottom of the pan to make sure it doesn't scorch. When you see small bubbles forming around the edge, and the milk is steaming, remove the pan from the heat. If you are using a thermometer, the temperature will be 182 F/83 C.
- Slice the potatoes by hand or use a mandoline. A mandoline makes it easier to slice the potatoes very thinly, and it produces perfectly uniform slices. Consider adding one to your kitchen toolbox.
- For cheesier scalloped potatoes, add a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to each layer along with the flour.
- Add about 1/2 to 1 cup of diced ham or chicken to the first two layers.
- Add a few tablespoons of finely chopped onions to the layers along with the flour.
- Brighten the dish and add flavor with a few tablespoons of chopped fresh chives or parsley.