Split pea soup is classic comfort food. This version is a basic combination of green split peas, ham, vegetables, and seasonings.
This basic pea soup is cooked on the stovetop, but with just a few alterations, it may be cooked in the slow cooker. See the tips below the recipe for slow cooker instructions.
If you like a smooth pea soup, reserve the diced ham and blend all or part of the soup in batches* when it's done. Add the ham and heat through.
Top this soup off with a little finely chopped ham, crumbled bacon, or crunchy croutons.
- 1 pound dry green split peas
- 2 quarts water or low- or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large dried bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- dash pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Crumbled bacon or finely chopped ham for garnish, optional
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cover dried peas with 2 quarts of water. Bring the peas to a boil; boil gently for 2 minutes. Set aside to soak for 1 hour.
- Add ham bone to the peas, along with chopped onion, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat from the ham bone. If desired, put a little finely chopped ham aside for garnish. Dice the meat and return to pea soup with chopped celery and carrot.
- Simmer the pea soup gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add salt, as needed. Remove the bay leaf.
- If desired, top servings with reserved finely chopped ham or crumbled cooked bacon.
*The steam from hot liquids can cause an explosion in a blender, so use caution when blending hot soup or other liquids. Fill the blender about one-third full, and never more than half full. Loosen the cup in the center of the blender lid. Place a folded kitchen towel over the lid and hold it down firmly while processing.
- Slow Cooker - Omit the soaking time, rinse the split peas, and reduce the liquid (water or broth) to 1 quart. Combine the ingredients (except salt and garnish) in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the peas are tender. Or cook on high for about 4 to 5 hours. If cooking on high, it might be necessary to add more liquid.
- Remove the meat from the ham bone and chop; return the chopped meat to the soup. Taste and season with salt, as needed. Garnish servings with some reserved diced ham or cooked crumbled bacon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|