This classic tuna casserole is a classic mixture of tuna, noodles, and a flavorful homemade sauce (no soup!). I used frozen thawed peas in this dish, but feel free to use lightly cooked frozen mixed vegetables or a peas and carrots blend.
Serve this inviting tuna noodle casserole with a tossed salad or fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.
If you aren't a fan of mushrooms, leave them out, or saute some onions or celery to replace them.
Easy Tuna Noodle Bake
- 8 ounces broad egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons
- all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed)
- 2 cans (5 to 6 ounces each) tuna (drained and flaked)
- 1 1/2 cups
- soft fresh bread crumbs *
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish or spray with
- Cook the noodles in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse under hot water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Cook the sliced mushrooms until golden brown and tender, then stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for about 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the mayonnaise, frozen peas, tuna, and drained pimiento. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Combine the sauce mixture with the noodles and mix to blend ingredients thoroughly. Turn into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and topping is browned.
As loaf bread becomes a bit stale, tear it into pieces and process in a food processor until finely ground. Freeze the crumbs in a food storage bag and use as needed for casseroles or other dishes calling for bread crumbs.
For toasted bread crumbs, spread the crumbs out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 325 F (165 C/Gas 3) oven for about 12 to 14 minutes, until browned and crunchy. See How to Make Easy Toasted Bread Crumbs for flavor ideas.
- Substitute French fried onion rings or potato chips for the buttered bread crumb topping.
- Instead of mushrooms, saute 1/2 cup of thinly sliced celery or a combination of the celery with 1/4 cup of chopped onion.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese to the thickened sauce before you add the mayonnaise.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|