A classic wedge salad is the perfect start or side to a steakhouse dinner, barbecue, or four-course meal. Load a simple iceberg wedge with homemade blue cheese dressing, crumbled bacon, chopped tomatoes, and tangy pickled onions. It couldn’t be simpler in its elegance, and is a favored method of adding acid and vegetables to a rich meal.
Blue cheese dressing is so easy to whip up, that after you taste it you won’t miss the store-bought version—the perfect blend of tangy and salty, with fewer ingredients than you might think.
Bring the toppings to the next level by salting the tomatoes and just barely pickling the onions. The contrast of flavors is wonderfully balanced.
- For the Salad:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (cut into 6 wedges)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 pound bacon (diced)
- For the Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Garnish: chives
Gather your ingredients.
Dice the tomatoes and top them with the salt. Give them a stir to disperse the salt evenly. Allow them to sit for at least 5 minutes. Strain them after to remove the excess water if you wish.
Dice the onion and toss it with the vinegar and let it sit for at least five minutes.
Add the chopped bacon to a cold pan. Heat it on high heat, stirring frequently until brown and crispy. Strain the bacon and place it on a paper towel lined plate.
Make the Dressing
Gather the ingredients.
Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, buttermilk, garlic clove, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
Fold the blue cheese crumbles into the dressing.
Top the iceberg wedges with the blue cheese dressing then the tomatoes, pickled onions, and crumbled bacon. Top with the chopped chives and serve immediately.
- The addition of the buttermilk makes the dressing perfectly pourable yet still thick and delicious. If you don’t have buttermilk, just measure out the milk and add 1/2 a teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice.
- To make the iceberg wedges, cut the iceberg in half, scoop out the very bottom of the stem, then cut each half into three wedges.
Try these different additions to mix up this classic dish:
- Add a balsamic reduction.
- Add chopped hard-boiled egg.
- Add shredded buffalo chicken, chopped celery, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Try serving the toppings over halved romaine hearts.
- Try a zesty Mexican version. Make a little avocado ranch and top it with tortilla strips, sliced avocado, and corn salsa.