I baked this fabulous classic white cake in a Bundt cake pan and topped it with a chocolate glaze. Cream the shortening and sugar for about 4 minutes for the best results.
For lemon flavor, use lemon extract instead of the almond and vanilla extracts.
I finished this cake with the included chocolate glaze, but use your favorite glaze or frosting or serve slices with fruit or a dessert sauce. This lemon sauce would be fantastic on the cake, or use a fresh blueberry sauce.
- 3 cups (13 ounces) cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening (room temperature)
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- Chocolate Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup sugar (confectioners' sifted)
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a standard Bundt cake pan or spray with a baking spray with flour.
- Measure or weigh the cake flour and put in a bowl.
- Add the baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the flour and whisk to blend thoroughly. Set aside.
- Put the shortening in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat for 2 minutes, until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and cream the mixture for about 4 minutes longer, until light and fluffy.
- Add the 1 teaspoon of vanilla and the almond extract and beat until thoroughly blended.
- In another (metal or glass) bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Set aside.
- Add about half of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until blended.
- Add the milk and mix until blended.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix just until well blended.
- Fold in the egg whites until well incorporated.
- Spoon into the prepared Bundt cake pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto the rack to cool completely. Glaze the cooled cake with the chocolate glaze (below) or frost as desired.
Optional Chocolate Glaze
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler or bowl over simmering water.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the confectioners' sugar, boiling water, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|