|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 loaves (24 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
When it's zucchini season, it's time to get baking and make use of your garden's bounty. This zucchini bread recipe is a quick bread dessert that's easy to make that is moist and delicious with shredded zucchini, cinnamon, vanilla, and chopped nuts.
Zucchini bread is delicious for breakfast or brunch, or as a sweet treat in the evening. You can serve it with a bit of butter or a cream cheese spread if you want to gild the lily.
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans.
Wash, dry, and, shred the zucchini by hand using a box or Microplane grater or use the shredding disk of a food processor.
Put the zucchini in a mesh strainer or colander and press or squeeze it with your hands to get some of the excess liquid out. You should have approximately 2 cups of shredded zucchini.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs, granulated sugar, and vegetable oil together.
Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and walnuts, mixing just until all ingredients are combined.
Add the drained zucchini. Mix well.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
Bake the zucchini bread for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out with little or no crumbs clinging to it.
Cool, slice, and serve!
- To freeze, wrap the loaf (or individual slices) in plastic wrap, then wrap it tightly in foil. Put the bread in a freezer bag and freeze for up to four months.
- Replace the chopped walnuts with chopped pecans, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded flaked coconut to the batter along with the chopped nuts.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of raisins or dried cranberries to the batter along with the chopped nuts.
- Add 1 tablespoon of finely grated orange zest to the batter and reduce the vanilla to 1 teaspoon.
- Add a drained 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the batter.
- Replace half of the oil with applesauce (this might take about five to 10 minutes less baking time).
- Add 1/2 to 1 ripe mashed banana to the batter.
- Reduce the sugar to 1 1/4 cups for less-sweet zucchini bread.
- Skip draining the shredded zucchini for a moister bread (but it might need to bake longer).
- Add a dash of ground nutmeg along with the cinnamon.
- Try a lemon twist with this Lemon Zucchini Bread recipe.