|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 30g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Total Carbohydrate 81g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You can use leftover chicken in the recipe, or, if you're short on time, make it with a rotisserie chicken. Packaged fresh cooked chicken strips (not breaded) are another excellent option.
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- Optional: 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk (or half-and-half)
- 1 teaspoon salt (scant, or to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Optional: 1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds (toasted)
Heat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / Gas 4.
Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the diced bell pepper and green onion, if using. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Stir in flour; continue cooking, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and then stir in the diced chicken, cooked rice, mushrooms, pimiento, and parsley.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
In a small bowl, combine the soft bread crumbs with the melted butter; toss to coat.
Sprinkle evenly with the buttered bread crumbs. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with toasted almonds, if using.
- This casserole is really very versatile. If you don't care for mushrooms or onions, leave them out. For additional nutrition and color, add some cooked peas or mixed vegetables to the sauce with the chicken and rice.